The First Presbyterian Church of Longview was organized in 1873, the year Gregg County was organized and a plot of land at the corner of Center and Methvin streets was donated by the Texas and Pacific Railroad on Nov. 17, 1873.
The Catholic Parish of Longview was established in 1880; from that mission parish has sprung the St. Anthony’s Catholic parish that Longview knows today.
In 1873, state Rep. Bluford Washington Brown, of Summerfield Community north of Longview, introduced a bill to create a new county from parts of Upshur, Rusk and Harrison counties.
Almost a century ago, some folks figured G.A. Bodenheim might as well be appointed mayor of Longview for life.
Did you know we came that close to being called Roanoke County? It’s true. The 1873 state Legislature — mostly composed of carpetbaggers and pro-Unionists — was all set to name the newly proposed East Texas county “Roanoke.”
Flamboyant but frank. A super salesman who used his talents to sell his city on progress.
In the first official census in 1880, the city of Longview’s population was 1,525. As of 2018, it’s an estimated 81,424.
Longview was incorporated on May 17, 1871, the first community in Gregg County to do so. Here’s a look at the city’s mayors since that year.
Gregg County was in mourning on Feb. 10, 1897. Word was spreading that the man who had created and named the county two decades earlier was dead at the age of 66.
The press has pushed Longview for progress since its first newspaper, the Longview News, a thrice-weekly with type that was handset by future Gov. James Stephen Hogg began circulating in 1871.